Saturday, November 3, 2012

Oddball in Washington: Stehekin to Canada

Welcome indeed
Stehekin River

Stehekin was nice.  Brian and I did not get our omelets and beer combination but we definitely got beer accompanied with burgers.  The bakery was the most amazing place in town.  The bus we hopped on from the trailhead made a stop there and when we arrived, I do believe it was the fastest I had ever disembarked from any bus in my life.  Upon exiting the bus, my beloved olfactory glands were immediately battered with the scents of hundreds of delicious baked goods.  Inside I found myself overwhelmed with choices and almost stuttering when I made my impulsive choices for the employee taking my order, “one of those giant ham and swiss things and one of those big loaves of sourdough!”  When asked if I wanted a free cookie, there was no silence between the question and my exuberant acceptance.  I packed the loaf of sourdough in my pack and joyfully ate the other items within minutes.  I only regret not ordering a fourth or fifth item.  I hear their pie-sized cinnamon rolls are divine; another time in the future perhaps?  Our trip to the post office in Stehekin was quite an experience as well.  The local postmaster was visually a very memorable man with long grey hair, a large white beard, an eye patch, and a bright red shirt with Laotion writing that he translated for us, “I’m a stupid American.”  The real treat at the post office was scene familiar to me but a must see and experience that had yet to be observed by my journalist friend.  A hiker came in front of the post office—where we many of were in line to claim our resupply packages—held up a box and asked “does anyone need any of this?”  After placing the box upon the ground, the dozen or so of us in line descended upon it and ravaged it like crazed animals.  The contents, with the exception of the non-edibles, were gone within seconds.

We kept our time in Stehekin short; resupplied, put some weight back on, drank up, and then got back on trail.  The trail immediately after Stehekin was quite striking.  Like the immediate area that preceded the town, this stretch was most notable for the deep gorge that housed the powerful Stehekin River.  The temperatures were nice, the air moist and cool, and the sounds of the river moving below were all very relaxing.  North Cascades National Park must be perfect for short trips and day hikes, I found myself often curious where all the other side trails went and what kinds of views they provided.  Upon reaching North Fork Camp we set camp during a light rain.  Before the rain fall became too strong the two of us stood around a large campfire and shared our snacks—some of the sourdough, some of the Nutella I scored from the split-second box raid at the post office, a little bit of wine we picked up in town, and summer sausage.  I finished my evening with some herbal tea and fell asleep to the sound of rain crashing down upon my tent.

Northern Washington looks a little like southern California, Brian on Cutthroat Pass
As soon as daylight permitted we broke camp the following morning, caffeinated up, and then hit the trail.  This was the first morning on the trail that I needed to hike with my down jacket; it was very cold, even with the heat that my body was producing from the exercise.  The trail was also covered in a fine layer of fog from the cloud morning cloud cover; it immediately evoked memories of what mornings in Washington were like in the first couple of weeks.  I loved it.  By the time the clouds had finally evaporated we were descending to Rainy Pass.  At this little highway crossing we basked in the sun with some other hikers we met just before and again in Stehekin.  Once we had enough of the sun we hopped back on the trail and I watched in amazement as northern Washington slowly, but surely, began to resemble southern California.  The trees thinned out, the distant mountains looked more brown and more bare, the soil below my feet slowly turned into a powdery light brown dust, and even the shrubs took on a more high desert like appearance than something I would have expected this far north.  This southern California-like appearance was most prominent once we were atop Cutthroat Pass.  The name and appearance reminded me of something from an old spaghetti western too.  Just around Cutthroat I was surprised again.  There was not much of it remaining but on the lee side of the ridge there was evidence of fresh snowfall, not much, but just enough to remind me that we were not too far from the beginning of Washington’s snow season.  For the remainder of the day Brian and I traversed slowly over a series of additional passes like Granite and Methow, and our discussions transformed like the terrain around us.  Where they were once about the army we had served in, this day they transformed into ones about food.  Both of us like to cook in our normal lives and were exchanging recipe ideas.  The apex of these conversations rested with an entrée idea that became my obsession until I made it off-trail—a multi-layered chili and cornbread style cobbler served in individual tiny pie tins (which I am proud to state I pulled off after returning home).  We hiked with the last amounts of sunlight and about a half-hour in darkness until we reached Willis Camp.  Again we built a fire, shared food, and went to bed very satisfied, especially with our Nutella and graham cracker deserts. 

The following day was not nearly as eventful.  The weather was great and there were numerous meadows to enjoy but I sometimes found myself disappointed with the trail.  Glacier Pass, for example, had no glaciers.  The trail this day took on anther southern California attribute—a water shortage (at least according to the data we had to work with).  After going over the Glacier Pass, we went a little off trail to what flow remained from an old snow-melt creek to hydrate ourselves and fill our water containers before the dry stretch that lay ahead of us.  The area rested in a bowl covered in soft green grass.  It was a perfect place to take a break and to begin a ritual we would continue until we were done with the PCT—afternoon coffee breaks.  Brian had brought real coffee and had a French press attachment for his cooking pot.  My usual combination of cheap instant coffee and hot coco had nothing on this stuff, it was quite a pleasure for my taste buds.  Once we arrived at Harts Pass we ran into about six other thru-hikers who were occupying a campsite that had been reserved by a trail angel who wasn't there yet.  We all conversed a little but more importantly, we planned.  This would be the first location on the trail, after we turned around from the border, where we could get a ride back into civilization.  Most of these other hikers shared the same plan as I, and it made me feel more confident that finishing at Harts Pass would be possible.  Camping also looked problematic from here out.  According to the data I had and the maps everyone else had, camping was spare, and the first available place where we could stay at without needing to hike well into the evening was between Windy and Foggy Pass.  When we arrived there I was somewhat annoyed. The area’s two camping sites were occupied.  I called out to one and asked if there was space down the spur trail from theirs and I was told no.  The second I approached and was given directions to three or four “great spots” that were actually hills littered with holes and rocks.  Brian and I gave up on trying to find good ground and camped next to the trail on the only spot we could reasonably find a flat parcel of earth.

At the Northern Terminus of the Pacific Crest Trail on the Canadian border.
After climbing over the ridge above us the next morning I realized the group of campers I asked had lied to us, there was plenty of space down the spur trail, I guess they just did not want us walking through.  This close to Canada, I did not care. In fact, most of this day went by very quickly and I was happy to be surprised with a number of springs that were supposed to be dry, as well as a number of campground that weren't on everyone's maps.  We had already carried water anticipating a dry stretch, but this meant we did not have to carry as much on our return.  We climbed up and down a few forest-covered passes and then slowly climbed down the prominent ridge just about Hopkins Lake.  We skipped the lake and its water and opted to continue towards the real goal—Canada.  Reaching the border that day, I am still not entirely sure how I felt even to this day.  The whole thing felt somewhere between surreal and anticlimactic.  In a way it reminded me of the scene from Forest Gump when he abruptly decides to stop running in the middle of Monument Valley and go home.  I was excited to finally be there, this was after all a hike that I attempted in 2010, had not finished, and after starting over again this year, I had finally finished.  I wanted this more than anything.  At the same time though, I did not want it to end.  If it could have been possible, I would have kept going.   I had actually thought often during my thru-hike about hoping on the Pacific Northwest Trail and going to the Pacific Ocean to the west or perhaps Glacier National Park in Montana to the east after finishing the PCT.  It would have bled my savings dry though and I knew I had to at some point go home and return to the real world.  Perhaps that was where the problem rest, the “real” world, since I started this was the trail and I liked that.  That night we camped in Canada, near Castle Creek, with a dozen or so other hikers and began the process of yogi-ing food off those who were not turning around to head back to Harts Pass.  I might have been done with my thru-hike, but I was at least going to spent about thirty more miles on the PCT to get back to an American road.

One last sunset on the the Pacific Crest Trail
The next day I was no longer a thru-hiker.  I was a filthy sound-bound section hiker hiking from the Canadian border to Hart’s Pass.  At the monument Brian and I met a thru-hiker who amazed us, he was carrying an insane amount of extra food—several servings of mashed potatoes, gravy, salt, pepper, tortillas, Cliff bars, and extra cheese.  We added it to what food we gathered from last night’s crowd, thanked him, and headed south.  We camped that night at the same exact location we camped at before, in between Windy and Foggy Pass.  This time though claimed the location our lying neighbors had occupied two nights before and cooked everything we had—all the mashed potatoes, all the gravy, and all the cheese in one pot; as well as a dehydrated hamburger meal Brian still had that we combined with our yogi’ed tortillas and some remaining chili powder I had to make burritos.  It was the fullest and most satisfied I had ever been on the trail, so many carbohydrates for so few miles the following day.

Serpent Slayer (center) and this trail magic at Harts Pass
It was nice sleeping in the next day and when we arrived at Harts Pass we were treated to some amazing trail magic.  A trail angel named Serpent Slayer had for the past several years been coming to Harts Pass for a couple weekends a year to camp and have cookouts for PCT hikers. When we arrived there we were spoiled with not only good company but steaks, sausages, bacon, and beer.  My stomach could not have asked for a better way to finish.  An hour later, Brian and I met again with Lloyd Hensrude.  Lloyd and his mother had driven a couple of hours to the pass to pick us up and take us back to civilization, which included showers and a wonder pot roast dinner at Lloyd’s parent’s home.  Before I knew it, I was in Seattle wondering what I was supposed to do next.


No comments:

Post a Comment