Monday, October 29, 2012

Oddball in Washington: Snoqualmie Pass to Stevens Pass

Mount Rainier off in the distance behind trail just north of Ridge and Gravel lakes in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness

After a wonderful rest in Seattle with Granite and Terrapin, which included a dinner with two other 2010 PCT hikers—Microburst and Sweet Sixteen, Terrapin drove me back to the trail.  Even though I was full from breakfast, I returned to the gas station and bought myself a cheap cheeseburger and a Hostess Fruit Pie, and ate them while walking from the gas station to the northbound trailhead at Snoqualmie Pass.  I felt energized and happy as I waved goodbye to Terrapin who was honking while she drove off.  From this point there was only about two-hundred miles left for me to hike and I was happy to be finishing strong.  I kept my goal modest that day, a mere seven miles.  I was not in a rush to leave my Seattle friends but I did need to get my rear back on the trail.  When you are on the PCT long enough, being off just does not feel right.  After a nice little two hour walk, I settled myself in a quiet spot off trail along the far edge of Ridge Lake.  It is nice to have days like this and to finish early because there is no rush to eat and get to sleep.  I took my time eating while reading a new book I picked up in Seattle and caught up on my journal entries before succumbing to slumber.

Glaciers on a parallel ridge 
I loved this new area.  Alpine Lakes Wilderness was gorgeous.  I left Ridge Lake both refreshed and early, and found myself hiking through clouds.  It was a treat.  The cold winds and low clouds reminded me of my day hiking through Goat Rocks, and I hiked that morning without the slight inclination to rush through anything.  An old friend also returned into view, Mount Rainier.  Its snow-capped peak was poking through the distant sea of white clouds.  Like so many other moments in Washington, this view ingrained in my heart a desire to return to Washington.  After all, Rainier's mere presence demands that I summit it in my lifetime.    Why else would such tall peaks be brought forth from the earth, if not to challenge us?  The remainder of the day I resumed my habit of hiking with long and break-less stretches.  Much of the trail this day consisted of a slow decline into one valley and then an equally slow climb up and over another ridge.  The entire way up, despite the glaring sun, I found myself constantly looking over my left shoulder to take in a view of the glaciers on the ridge that ran parallel to the one I was ascending. Once the ascent was complete I traveled around the ridge to a desolate alpine flat with an almost completely hidden little tarn.  I debated staying at the tarn that evening but also appreciated that I still had a good hour or so of sunlight and choose instead to fill up on water and dry camp on a quiet little meadow somewhere near the Waptus River.

North side of Cathedral Pass
Even though there was no shortage of steep climbs and drops remaining on the PCT, it was around here where, for whatever reason, I decided to pack my trekking poles.  Something about them seemed superfluous and I did not want to deal with them anymore.  I continued doing long stretches and often found myself losing track of the time.  It was not because every single mile of trail was like a piece of heaven on Earth, I simply found myself enjoying my hike.  I knew I was going to finish, I knew I was going to finish before the snow began to fall in Washington, and I all that truly remained in my hike was the desire to enjoy myself until I finished.  If anything, the thought of being done was the only thing that made me any bit gloomy.  To avoid gloom I then ceased to think about Canada despite how close it was.  At one point that day I stopped about half a mile short a lake I had planned on breaking at.  I climbed atop a large rock that sat in the shade and overlooked a strong flowing Spinola Creek.  For an hour I sat with a book, ate from a bag of dehydrated bananas, and had a couple of cups of cold coffee.  I also found a large pile of abandoned food and gear.  Curiosity compelled me to shift through it, I found a couple of still-sealed packets of dehydrated biscuits and gravy, and found myself thinking, “what on earth am I doing? I don’t need any of this junk.”  I left the junk where it sat, continued past Deep Lake, admired a lengthy view of it while coming up to Cathedral Pass, jumped from boulder to boulder at a powerful and narrow snow-melt creek just below Mount Daniels, descended back into a thick forest until going over a view-less Deception Pass, and then camped at the first available piece of flat ground where I also found a very cold an delicious spring.  I heard a number of other hikers pass me early in the evening but with my tent’s opening facing away from the trail, I confined myself to my dinner and my book.

Northern Deception Lake
In the morning while I ate my unloved oatmeal and drank my beloved coffee, I was surprised to not only bump into another thru-hiker but also one that I knew—Hesu.  We talked while I broke down my camp and he gave me the address for the Steven’s Pass trail angels—the Dinsmores.  They lived past the Databook’s resupply town entry of Skykomish and in a small and spread out town called Baring.  If I had not found another hiker, I would not have been able to find them.  I remained with my usual place knowing I only had 20 miles to Stevens Pass (unlike the 27 mile haul Clay and I had to make to arrive at Snoqualmie).  I soaked in the views of all the beautiful lakes along the way—Deception Lakes, Surprise, Trap, Hope, Mig, Josephine, and Susan—and before I knew it I was hiking under a ski lift.  Seeing the lift I realized that I was only a couple miles before Stevens Pass and I was about to complete 20 miles without needing a break.  Once I arrived at Stevens Pass I went to the little restaurant, had a hotdog, crossed the highway, and stuck my thumb out.  The Pass was not exactly hitchhiker friendly but after half an hour I got offered a ride from a painter who was leaving work at the pass.  I had a hard time trying to understand what he was saying and realized why only after I got into his car.  My ride was a Russian immigrant who spoke very little English and simply assumed I was trying to get to Seattle.  Despite the language barrier I was able to describe where I needed to go and roughly where Baring was by drawing a line on his dusty dashboard—we’re at Steven’s Pass, I need to go to Baring a few minutes past Skykomish, and Seattle is not where I’m going all the way out here.  It worked.  He drove me to Baring in return for some awkward small talk where neither he nor I could really understand each other; we were literally talking for the sake of talking and to pass time.  I arrived in Baring five minutes before the store closed, got a large deli sandwich, chips, a couple of beers, and some ice cream; and then immediately set off for the Dinsmores’ home.




No comments:

Post a Comment